Week 2 Story: The Indecisive Student

An Engineering student once complained, "My classes are too hard. I want a major that allows me to have more time to myself. I think I shall change my major to Psychology."

His academic advisor said, "Study what pleases you, major in Psychology." 

The student then began his studies in Psychology, no longer an Engineering student. Soon after classes began the Psychology major found his interest in the the social sciences fading. "These classes are boring and uninteresting. I wish I was a Creative Writing major. How much more interesting that would be."

The advisor once again supported the student's wishes, "Creative Writing can be a great major, go and enjoy."

As a Creative Writing major, the student became frustrated. No story he wrote seemed quite good enough. He wanted defined right answers and less subjective grading measures.

He pleaded with his advisor, "Biology, I believe is the subject for me."

The advisor was wary but agreed nonetheless, "Are you sure this is what you want to do? Biology is great, but so are Engineering, Psychology and Creative Writing, too. If this is what will please you, start studying Biology."

Biology, however, was the hardest major the student had yet to pursue. The courses were more rigorous than any of the classes he had taken before.

"This major is too difficult," the student cried, " I don't like this. I should be an art major. That would be nice."

Once again, the advisor did what he could, "As you wish, an art major, you now are."

The student found that this was the worst major yet, the classes were difficult but commanded no respect. None of the other students believed an Art major could find work. It was a waste of tuition if he had hopes to succeed.

The Art major once again sought help from the adviser, "I think Engineering was right for me all along, I want to be employable and make money once I graduate from this University."

The advisor listened but this time, however, there was nothing the advisor could do. "Your GPA is no longer high enough for a major change to Engineering. An art major you are, an art major you must stay." he informed the student.

So the student continued his studies in Art and that's what it says on his diploma today.


The Indecisive Student as he studies (Photo from Wikimedia Commons)


Author's Note: I rewrote the story of the "The Man in the Moon" in a modern University setting. I tried to mirror the style of dialogue and overall themes in the general story but wanted to make the conflicts seem more relevant to modern readers or students.


"The Man in the Moon" from Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson. Web source.

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah,

    This... sounds a lot like some people I’ve known, not gonna lie.

    Something I found interesting about this story to begin with — and that still makes me wonder in your version — is why the advisor/old sage decides to stop at that particular state? Why should he be the moon/an art major forever? Why not the thing before? I realize that’s not exactly feedback, but your story reminded me of it.

    Best,
    A.M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,

    Okay, I actually really enjoyed this. It was so short and simple, and I'm kind of jealous that I didn't think of recreating this story. I honestly had forgotten which story The Man in The Moon was, but once I started reading your story I immediately remembered. I think you did an amazing job modernizing it and making it relatable to many people. The message remains the same : the grass isn't always greener on the other side (at least, that's what I got from it). I'm excited to read more of your renditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, this was hilarious! I have changed my major before, and know many people that have changed their major countless times. I think that applying the Man in the Moon story to an relatable situation was such a cool idea, and you did it very well. It taught the moral it was supposed to, while also creating a near perfect analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah!

    This story made me laugh it was so entertaining and accurate for some people in school. I have not read the story The Man in the Moon in so long but as I started reading your story I felt like I had read something similar before. The best part was that I went to read the Man in the Moon because I had a friend that was this indecisive that I honestly wasn't sure if that was why the story sounded so familiar. I enjoyed that your story was modern and relatable to all of us college students. These stories can be so dark sometimes, but you took a wonderful twist on a story and made it your own! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts