Feedback Strategies: Giving Feedback

The first article I found helpful was The Trouble with Amazing: Giving Praise That Matters. I think it highlighted that positive feedback does not really make people feel good or help them out when they know they can improve. Specific negative feedback is better than generic positive feedback. I think it can be hard to give negative feedback but I agree that generic positive feedback comments like "Amazing" or "Good job" do not help people improve and the really nice thing to do is give people helpful feedback rather than feedback aimed at preventing people from getting mad at you.

Another article I enjoyed was How To Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk. I was kind of surprised this article said it is not necessary to give positive feedback and that "sandwiching" negative feedback between compliments can do more harm than good. After reading though, I tend to agree that the sandwiching strategy can be rather insincere and just calms our own fears as we give feedback rather than saving the feelings of the receiver.

Feedback = Good (Photo from Feedback Cats blog)


Comments

Popular Posts