Storybook Plan

My storybook is designed to look like an email inbox for the hero Heracules from Greek mythology. I plan to write a series of emails to Heracules from characters he was not very kind to and create a collection of hate mail for him. I think the major stories I want to include are those of Megara, Diomedes, and Iole.

Heracules clearly wasn't a great family man in Greek mythology and I think the perspectives of two of his wives Megara and Iole will shed even more light on that in a new way. I also just think it would be interesting to reimagine some of his labors in ways that don't make them look so heroic which is why I want to reimagine the story of Diomedes and the Augean Stables.

I also want to subtly include information about Hercules most people do not know and dispel misconceptions about the original myths of Heracules created by Disney and other modern retellings. I plan on alluding to the cult worship of Heracules in ancient Greece and the murder on Linus, Heracules' music teacher. I also want to reference that Heracules was the son of Alcmene and Zeus disguised himself  Alcmene's huband, Ampithryon. In addition, I have already posted an email from Philoctetes to Heracules on my storybook clarifying their relationship considering Disney's Philotcetes does not have much in common with the Greek mythological Philoctetes.

Heracules and the Nemean lion (Photo from Wikimedia Commons)

I've found a lot of helpful information about Heracules thus far from the following websites:
Wikipedia
Greekmythology.com
Encyclopedia Britancia

Comments

Popular Posts