Week 8 Comments and Feedback

I have received a lot of comments point out things I am doing well in my writing but the most helpful feedback I have received points out things that were confusing or didn't make sense as a reader. Writing stories, I often forget or lose sight of what information the reader needs to understand what is happening or why characters act a certain way. I have tried to in my own comments to add what was confusing to me or give suggestions. I try to tell people what they have done well but ultimately it is questions or criticism that allows people to make changes.

I like getting to know people by reading their introductions but I often forget what I've learned about who until I go back to their introduction post and realize I've read it already. I have really enjoyed reading other people's stories and seeing what inspires other people in what they have read.
Looking ahead, I think for myself and for others the feedback assignments are most helpful when they raise concerns or goes beyond what has already been written and asks new questions. Telling people you liked their work is nice to hear but not altogether helpful for making improvements.


This feedback cat highlights what I think good feedback does. I think the best feedback is born of curiosity and interest in the story. Asking questions about the characters or the plot not only help us become better readers but give useful information to writers that can spark new ideas. 

Comments

Popular Posts