Story Lab: More TED Talks and a few detours

The first TED talk I watched was A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman. His main point was that the way are society defines intelligence is too narrow in scope and essentially tells people they can not do things, some which they may already be doing. I appreciated his insistence on a holistic approach that evaluates what a person can and does bring to the table rather than a fixed measure that becomes the primary factor in determining what people can and can't do.

As I prepared to continue on to the second talk a suggested video caught my attention called Stop Searching for Your Passion. It was another TED talk by Terri Trespicio and it emphasized that success often breeds passion instead of the other way around. She argued against the notion that you have to do know what you want to do for the rest of your life and that you need to have a life guided by passion. I found it really helpful as someone who is graduating this year and lacks career plans. Highly recommend it and wanted to share my side project during this assignment.

Back on topic. I then watched Nina Paley's Copyright is Brain Damage Talk. I watched part of her movie Sita Sings the Blues in my Intro to Hinduism class just last week which I thought was a cool coincidence. I felt very encouraged by her talk in the sense of copyright should not scare me into limiting my creativity. I do not know if I completely agree with just ignoring copyright but I do think there is something to be said for the need for change in the copyright system. I think it's difficult to completely abandon copyright because then nothing would prevent someone for passing off someone else's work as their own but I agree that it should be easier to obtain fair use.

In spirit of her talk, I chose this image for this post without checking its copyright status
Art from the blog of Lisa Gonzalez

Comments

Popular Posts