Topic Research: Hate Mail for Heracules


The topic I have chosen to research is Heracules. I intend to write stories of Heracules from the perspectives of his enemies in a hate mail format. I hope to make the storybook resemble an email inbox.
One story that I could use for this project is the murder of Megara and her five children by Heracules. I could tell this story from the perspective of Megara who is offended by cults celebrating the death of Heracules with a festival when no one spends time remembering the deaths of her and her children. Another possibility for telling this story is to use the perspective of Hera who is expressing outrage that she gets blamed for the deaths of Megara and her children because she sent Hercules into a fit of madness, according to the common telling of the story.
Another story I could use for this project would be the eight labor of Heracules in which he steals the horses of Diomedes. The crucial elements of this story are that Heracules stole the horses and fed Diomedes to his own horses. For the project, I could tell this story from the perspective of Diomedes who would clarify that the horses were no wild and trained to eat human flesh but they were bothered by strangers and that they would eat what they are given.
I could also tell the story of Iole the Princess of Oechalia who was abducted by Heracules and married to him. Heracules killed all of her family except one of her brothers because they did not agree with the actions Heracules performed during his labors. I could tell this story from her perspective as an unwilling abductee.


(Picture from Pixabay captioned with Cheezburger)

Sources:

Comments

Popular Posts